Monday, March 17, 2008

Happy Birthday Aaron!



So we celebrated Aaron's birthday on Saturday (so Brad could help me with the party). We invited 16, probably 12 showed up. There was a little bit of chaos, but everyone had fun.
We were also excited to have Aunt Lu come to the party. Isn't Mia a great transformer?
Grandma stopped by earlier during the week and sadly we did not take a picture:(


Now that Aaron is five, he is showing us just how grown up he can be. Brad took Aaron to a church parking lot and they practiced without training wheels for 15 minutes (then it started to snow). Aaron can now ride a bike. I'm so proud of him and so glad daddy is home to do these things with him! This is a video two days later of Aaron showing off for me.

This past week I took Aaron to the doctor for his kindergarten physical. He had to have 4 shots and didn't even cry. I was very impressed. Also, the doctor says he reads better than any other 5 year old she's seen. She thinks I should get him into an advanced program somewhere. Ha, ha. I've tried and tried and Utah offers nothing (free) until about 2nd grade. They won't even let him skip a grade. I'm just a pushy parent who thinks my kid is smart. I'm not trying to emphasize how smart he is, I'm just trying to keep him challenged so he doesn't get bored and develop bad study skills from work that is too easy. He reads on a second grade level and he's going to be reviewing his ABCs. I'm a little frustrated. Anyone have any ideas of what I should do? I don't want Aaron to get to college where he will have to study and realize he doesn't know how. (Like some other people I know).

5 comments:

Kim said...

I've heard there's lots of charter schools in Utah--would they be more accomodating to his needs? I have a nephew like that--he could read the scriptures at 4. Basically his teacher gave him more challenging work and told him that the other kids couldn't read as well and not to make fun of them (not that he did).

JonesFamilyBlog said...

There is a charter school down the road, but it's like a big lottery unless you already have a sibling attending. I've applied so we'll see if we win:)

Carrie Merino said...

I know that in PA the school district has to accommodate the reading level. Keep them in the kindergarten class, but go to the second grade class for reading time. If they have to accommodate learning disabilities, they should have to do something for advanced as well. I think you should still be pushy with the administration, but not with the teacher because they can really be your advocate.

MaryJo said...

I can't believe he's five already and riding a bike...wow! My nephew was the same way and so very bored in school. I will ask his mom what she did to help him. Right now he is taking college classes at CHS. I believe that when he graduates from high school he will have the first two years of college already finished. cool huh.

Hugs,
MJ

Jessica said...

he sure takes after his dad =)