Monday, April 11, 2011

On Thursday I was driving through Redding, CA to visit a client. I missed the turnoff and found myself on the way to Shasta, a small historic site a few miles away. As I looked for a place to turn around, I came face to face with a familiar family name!



It's spelled the right way so I knew it was from the same family. After spending some time on both Google and LDS Familysearch, I was able to make the connection. The street is named for Dr. Benjamin Shurtleff, MD, who lived in Shasta and later moved to Napa in the 1800s. He originated from Massachusetts and sailed to San Francisco during the gold rush. He settled in Shasta and had a storied political career in addition to his medical career.

From what I could find, Benjamin is 4th cousins to Luman Andros Shurtleff and they lived about the same time. They both come from the William Shurtleff line - William Shurtleff was one of the first Shurtleffs from England during the colonial period, back in the 1600s. Luman Andros was descended through William Shurtleff's first son, William, while Benjamin was descended through William Shurtleff's third son, Richard or Abiel.

5 comments:

Jessica said...

Good work bro!

Jana said...

WOW this is incredible. It makes me want to search more and more. I wonder if his work was done....

Tracy Haws said...

Hi guys...I don't know if you remember us, but we were in the Provo 99th ward together and I found your blog through the Claytons. I love that your in my old stomping grounds (Eddie and I grew up in Northern Cali) and I love to see how your family has grown and all the adventures life has taken you on. I don't normally comment, but I found this post intriguing because my best friend growing up was Brittany Shurtleff and wondered if there may be a connection there. Her Dad was our Stake President for years and now is serving their third mission as the MTC presidents in Bogota Colombia. His name is Lynn Shurtleff. Sorry for the random comment, but I was curious. ;)

Larenna said...

O that is so cool, my new email is bigmackandfries77@gmail.com. That is just so awesome I can't believe you found that.

Brad said...

Hey Tracy! Tell Eddie I said hi! I have no idea who your old Stake Pres is, but he would have to be family, due to the name; Shurtleff is my grandmother's maiden name. Honestly, the link is far enough back that all the Shurtleffs I know have passed away. Regardless, yes, Brittany would be on the same family tree. And being LDS, she likely came through the same line I did (Luman Andros Shurtleff).